Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay

Okay so I was getting better about writing, and I know I slacked over the past week or so, but with good reason!  I was on vacation (a MUCH NEEDED) vacation down in Ft. Myers, Florida.  We were there for a week, and I had gone with one of my best friends, her mother, and her best friend.  

I was going to write about the vacation and tell you all how wonderful it was and EVERYTHING we did (blah, blah, blah) but what fun would that be?  (And it would be seriously, ridiculously long.)  I actually noticed I learned more than the fact that I actually do burn, Florida has some crazy thunderstorms, and it is a beautiful place.  I'll keep that part short and sweet. 

We went to Ft. Myers Beach and Captiva Beach.  We spent a lot of time at the pools at the resort.  (There was a beach right there as well.)  

We ate at some really great restaurants: Hemingway's (THE BEST,) Mucky Ducks, University Grill, California Pizza Kitchen, and Wahoo Willie's.

We had our fair share of drinks; the bartender at the resort bar loved me and gave me free shots of Jameson everytime I was there.  We even found a place where we could play darts.


Let me tell you:  I did realize that I really needed the vacation to just get away for a week and completely not worry about everything that goes on at home with family and friends, the job hunt, and school.  It was a nice break to start to really put things into perspective and decide exactly how I'd like the next year of my life to go.  I just needed time to think, without my thoughts constantly being disturbed.  It was also the first time I went on a vacation and actually teared up a bit when it was time to leave.  


I've been beginning to notice there are A LOT of people that I would prefer to not associate myself with in this area.  People are heading down the wrong paths and just losing themselves in the mix of everything that could possibly be wrong for them.  At this point, I don't have much to lose, but I have everything to gain and I'm not willing to compromise that over making stupid choices, hanging out with the wrong people, or being in the wrong place at the wrong time.  I won't let people and the influences around me drag me down.  I know I'm much smarter than that.


Also: I really have the desire and the drive to succeed. 

I don't want to disappoint myself and have a life where I've accomplished nothing.  That actually scares the crap out of me.   

I really don't want to live in my hometown forever.  I'm over it.  Besides a couple of people, I really wouldn't miss anything about the place.  That was made obvious to myself while I was away.   


I could have stayed on vacation down there for AT LEAST another week.  Sad, but true.  Now it is over and done, and its back to reality.  I am glad I got to relax my mind though and figure some things out.  Time to make it all happen now :-)




(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding



No comments:

Post a Comment