Thursday, June 17, 2010

I Want to Break Free

So I have been reading the book Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs for quite some time now. I love books by Burroughs and have read several of them. Last night while I was reading, I came across a part in the book that really got me thinking. It went like this:

"More than anything, I wanted to break free. But free from what? That was the problem. Because I didn't know what I wanted to break free from, I was stuck."

I put the book down and I really began to think about these lines. I was thinking, wow, this is exactly how I feel. I always feel stuck, and especially now that I am in between jobs, still struggling with exactly what I am majoring in at school, bad credit, and unfortunately still living at home. How do I get out of this rut? Why do I feel so stuck? With my 24th birthday around the corner in exactly 9 days, I realize that this is NOT where I want to be in life, nor is it where I ever imagined I'd be. I may feel stuck, but there are a few things I know for sure:


1.) I have to choose a major (stick with it) and finish college.
2.) I want to have a career I am actually happy with.
3.) I NEED to move out of my parent's house.
4.) I want to be debt free.

I guess the biggest problem is that these are obviously long term goals. Some of these things I have made progress toward, but then there are certain things where I don't even know where to begin. Failure isn't an option at this point, and I don't want to look back in 5, 10, or even 20 years and think, "Damn. My life was a complete waste of time and I've done nothing."

Most importantly, I want to be happy, successful, and proud of the things I've accomplished in my life.


I Want to Break Free - Queen

No comments:

Post a Comment